Contemporary Management IssuesBack to 当然指南
This course provides students an in-depth exposure to the skills necessary to manage an organization in today’s rapidly changing marketplace. The course will explore the general history and theory of the field of management. After reviewing the theories and foundations of the management field, students will investigate and discuss the changes and challenges in today’s global marketplace. A variety of crucial management skills will be addressed. 课程 topics include the history and theory of management, managing differences, personality type, Emotional IQ, contemporary management challenges, ethical considerations in management, how to manage rapidly changing technologies, relationship building, and managing the multi-generational workforce.
CAVEAT: No graduate credit will be awarded if MGT4650 has been successfully completed.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Understanding the history and theory of management and its value within the organization.
- Understanding the role of the manager within the organization.
- Understanding how changes in the economy affect managers.
- Defining the importance of being able to adapt to today’s workplace challenges by creating an adaptive organization.
- Understanding how the differences in generations affect the workplace and the need to adapt managerial approaches to those differences.
- Discussing how being able to work with different personalities can be an asset to a manager.
- Exploring the continuously changing landscape in business.
- Exploring how legalities and government regulations affect a manager.
- Exploring gender differences and the need to adapt managerial approaches to those differences.
- Understanding how to conceptualize organizational needs in relation to change.
- Understanding how working with Emotional IQ can be a powerful management tool.
- Understanding the need to manage technology efficiently and effectively.
- Understanding how to manage diversity and the need to adapt managerial approaches to that diversity.
- Understanding how ethical dilemmas affect managers.
- Discussing the hostile work environment and how to overcome this challenge.
- Understanding the challenges of the entitled worker, the lazy worker, the unmotivated worker, and the overworked employee.
- Understanding the need for relationship building within the organization as well as within the greater business community.
- Understanding how to motivate and empower employees for current and future success.
- Discussing issues to be addressed in order to adapt quickly and efficiently to changes affecting the management of an organization.